SILAS BINGHAM BEMENT came to Michigan with his father at six years of age. His father settled in New Haven, Macomb Co., Michigan at first, afterwards moving into Ingram County, where he grew into manhood, becoming one of the early settlers and pioneers of Central Michigan. He married in 1849, bought 40 acres of land in Leroy County for $100, cleared and farmed it, and raised a family of four children.spouse: >Geer, Nancy R. (1822 - 1888)
Nancy Geer came to Michigan from Alleghany County, New York when when she was fourteen years of age, living with John Starkweather's family in Lenawan County, Michigan until she was 27 years of age and married Silas Bement. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928,, p. 373c; Spencer BeMent Supplement, 1996, p. 111d) _________________
Silas served in the Civil War and was discharged 2 Sep 1862 with a certificate of disability from Company B, Seventh Regiment, of the Michigan Volunteers. This information was registered with the County Clerk of Ingham County, Michigan 21 Aug 1866. In 1883 his occupation was listed as a Deputy Sheriff. He and his wife are buried in the Cabot/Meech Cemetery in Williamston, Michigan. (Source: Cherryl Webber Valleau, May 1998)
SPECIAL RESEARCH NOTE: Only about one generation of descendants beyond Silas Bingham Bement were included in the original Bement Chronicles. Through the contribution of Cherryl Lynn (Webber) Valleau, Silas' 3rd Great Grand-daughter, this descendant line is current through 1997 for seven generations from Silas Bingham Bement. (Dennis BeMent, May 1998)
Silas "Pete" Perkins Bement resided at 2680 Court Street, Baker, Oregon at the time of his death. He was a marble cutter by trade and owned the Baker Monument Company in Baker, Oregon.spouse: >Tracey, Martha (>1856 - )
Silas T. Bement (8-705o) had eight children, names unknown except for Daniel Henry Bement and Silas L. Bement. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928) ____________________spouse: >Graves, Aurilla (1823 - 1903)
Silas, known as Solomon, and his wife and young son Daniel resided in Centerville (PA) in 1850 where he kept a hotel. In 1866 he removed to Henrietta, Jackson Co., Michigan and two years later to Croton Township, Newaygo Co., Michigan, where he farmed in 1870 and 1880, owning almost 40 acres in both sections 2 and 3. In 1900 he resided with Lewis Warren in Garfield Township while Aurilla resided in Brooks Township with her divorced son Daniel, and her daughter Carrie.
Silas was in poor health for several years before being stricken with apoplexy and passing away peacefully. His obituary indicated that he was "...a man with more than ordinary intelligence..."
(Source: Supplement to the Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, Nov. 1992, p. 344; Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan) ____________________
His descendant information has been compiled and maintained by the late Mary Ann (Baroch) Bement, wife of Arden Lee Bement, Jr., with additional updates by their daughter, Cynthia Ann (Bement) Smart, of Pasco, Washington, Sept. 1999)
Stephen Bement died from drinking checkerberry oil.
STEPHEN HOSMER BEMENT, M.D. was educated at the Academies of Conway and Whately, Massachusetts. He studied medicine at Pittsfield, and at Woodstock, Vermont where he was graduated with honors; spent a year with Dr. Wilson of Chesterfield, Massachusetts, and also studied dentistry. Immediately upon marriage he started for Michigan City with high hopes and bright prospects, but lived less than four years, having contracted an illness in the prosecution of his profession which ended fatally.spouse: >Clark, Paulina (1822 - 1897)
Letters are extent, telling of his outlook upon life in the West, and the almost Twentieth Century activity of his uncle, the Reverend Rufus Bement, who was settled twenty miles to the Southward. Of the latter, Dr. Bement writes: "he preaches to two small societies (under the Board of Home Missions) and is one of the best preachers I ever heard". (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 309)
Killed in the Civil War; married, no spouse name available, two children, both died before 1913.
SUMNER BEMENT, as guardian for his minor children, and the "grand-children of Jonathan Taylor of Ashfield, deceased", he conveyed to Jerusha F. Williams, by deed of 1 Sept 1841, land lying in common and undivided with the said Jerusha, it being one-half of a piece of pasture land, formerly belonging to Jonathan Taylor. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, p. 189)spouse: >Taylor, Priscilla (>1799 - <1836)
He married three times having issue with only his first wife. His second wife, Fanny Thayer, is referenced in the "Thayer Genealogy", page 664)
Husband, Nathan, was an architect.spouse: >Hosmer, Nathan (1845 - 1876)
Sylvester Bement belonged to Williams College.
The information on the descendants of Thankful Bement and Harvey Harmon was provided by Sharon Lee (Simpson) Courtemanch, her third great grand daughter (April, 1998).spouse: >Harmon, Harvey (1789 - 1865)
Thelma W. Bement contracted polio and was crippled most of her life. She resided in Pittsford, Vermont in 1947. She had one son, believed to be named Clayton Tice. (Source: Spencer L. BeMent; Ann Arbor, Michigan, Jennifer (Bement) Zarpentine, Rochester, NY; March, 1998)spouse: >private
Thomas Bement came from Scotch-Irish stock and apparently left home at a very young age, where home may have been Syracuse, New York. He moved to Minnesota around 1900 and started a hotel along the railroad. The town was originally named Bement, Minnesota, and today is known as Waubun, Minnesota. Thomas married Mary Ann Myrand, a part Native American Chippewa Indian, and they had six children. (Sources: Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan; Steven R. Bement, Littleton, Colorado, May 1998) ________________spouse: >Myrand, Mary Ann (1854 - 1942)
Most of the information on the descendants of Thomas and Mary Ann (Myrand) Bement was provided by Marian Alice (Warwick) Turgeon of Silverlake, Washington (e-mail: mturgeon@@telebyte.com). Marian is the wife of Arthur Francis Turgeon, the great grandson of Thomas and Mary Ann Bement. (May 1999) ________________
A booklet entitled "Waubun, Minnesota, Chippewa's Rising Sun," was written by Mrs. Donald (Blanche Fabre) McDonald of Waubun, Mahnomen Co., MN, in 1960. The village was originally named "Bement" for Thomas Bement. However, the local Indians decided all reservation towns should have Indian names. "Waubun" means sunrise or early morning in Chippewa. The townsite was an 80-acre tract owned by "a minor girl of Indian descent, she being the daughter of the only settler there at the time. Her maiden name was Ethel Bement, now Mrs. Ingvald (Red) Williamson."
The booklet indicates that Mr. Bement came originally from Syracuse, NY, and was of Scotch-Irish parentage. He married Mary Ann Myrand in White Earth, MN in 1872. She was originally from Belle Prairie, MN. He died 30 March 1922. She died 11 March 1942.
Mr. Bement built a hotel in Waubun in 1904, when he and his wife and 8 children moved there from White Earth, MN, before the railroad was built. Those children were: William, Josie, Theodore, Joe, Susie, Tony, Aloysiuis and Ethel. The pamphlet lists other children who died: Frank and James, died at birth or early childhood; Leo and Charles died while attending St. John's University. (Source: Excerpts from the History of Waubun, Minnesota, provided by Jim Bement of Seattle, WA in 1988; and Lyn Bement in June 1999) ________________
Description of the Bement Hotel built and tended by Thomas and Mary Ann:
Bement Hotel Thomas Bement, Prop
This is a first class hotel in every respect; rooms well furnished; good tables. We ask a share of your patronage. Rates $1.00 per day * $4.00 per week Livery and Feed Stables in Connection Waubun, Minnesota ________________________________________________________________
Sometime after 1905 the following advertisement appeared:
HOTEL WAUBUN THOMAS BEMENT, Prop. American Plan MEAL HOURS: Breakfast 6:30 to 8:30; Dinner 12 to 1:30; Supper 6 to 7:30 Sunday Breakfast 8:00 to 9:00; Sunday Dinner 12:30 to 1:30
1. Guests without baggage must pay in advance. 2. Guests are requested to report any discourteous treatment of employees to the proprietor. 3. No loud talk or noise allowed in halls. 4. Valuables must be left in the office in charge of the proprietor or we will not be responsible for same. 5. Lock the room and leave key at the office. 6. Please turn out light when retiring or extra charge will be made. 7. Dogs will not be allowed in rooms or hallways. 8. Unnecessary damage done to rooms or furniture must be paid by person occupying room. 9. Do not spit on the floors of room or hallways. 10. No nails, tacks or pins allowed to be driven in the walls. 11. Rooms must be checked before 12 M. on day of departure or same will be charged for extra. 12. All meals served in rooms 25 cents extra. 13. Persons engaging rooms will be charged from the time they are placed at their disposal whether occupied or not. 14. Every hotel is required to keep a register.
Fire Escape - Rope in Each Room
(Source: Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan, May 1998)
Intention of marriage Thomas J. Bement of Ludlow and Miss Lucinda Learnard of West Springflied, May 28, 1823. (Source: Vital Records of West Springfield, Massachusetts, Marriages, p.30)----------child: Bement, Infant Son (>1824 - ~1828)
Thomas Mitchell Cartney Bement was born in the New York City Harbour on a ship of British registry with a Welsh captain. He became a landed immigrant in Canada, and at the age of 21 had the choice of becoming an American or British citizen. This type of choice was given because at that time Canada was a dominion, not a country, so no Canadian citizenship was available. (Source: Gordon Bement, grandson of Thomas M. C. Bement, Trenton, Ontario, Canada, e-mail: gpbement@@reach.net, March 1999)
TITUS BEMENT remained in Suffield, Connecticut until after the birth of his second child (1799) after which he removed his family to Ontario County, New York, and later to Chautauqua County, where he continued to reside until his death. By deed 31 May 1842, he, and others, conveyed to Emeline Sykes, of Suffield, land set off to widow Mary Bement, as part of her dower in the estate of her husband, Edmund Bement, late of Suffield, deceased. (Source: Hampden County, Massachusetts, Registry of Deeds, Liber 118, f. 507).spouse: >Sykes, Eunice (1775 - 1840)
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 138-139
After his first wife died he came east and married (2) Chole Learned, his first wife's niece. (Source: Arthur M. Sikes, Jr., Suffield, CT, Mar 1999)
Truman Bement is buried in the Webberville Cemetery, Webberville, Michigan (Source: Cherryl Webber, Valleau, May 1998)
The information on Verna Taft Bement and her descendants was provided by Jennifer Topham.spouse: >Milligan, Frank Harper (1891 - 1964)
WAIT BEMENT married Clarissa Ranney, his first cousin, as his first wife.spouse: >Ranney, Clarissa (1807 - 1849)
During his long life he was prominently identified with the history of his native town. For half a century he held a commission as Justice of the Peace. In 1832, he was chosen Town Clerk, and continued in that office for four years. He became selectman in 1841, his last service in that capacity being rendered after he had attained the age of three score ten years (70). He represented Ashfield in the Massachusetts Legislature in 1835 and 1836. With the public schools of his town he had a long and successful connection. In early manhood, and in later years, he was frequently a member of the School Committee.
He was a man of sterling character and intellectual ability, faithful to all public and private trusts, genial in his intercourse with his fellow men and emphatically a gentleman of the old school. He lies buried at Ashfield, Franklin Co., Massachusetts near his father and grandfather, in the old cemetery on the hill. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 126, 183)
In the history of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York it was indicated that the first town meeting was held at the house of Walter Bement, March 3, 1807, Judah Bement was elected one of the three Commissioners of Highways. (Page 652) Tavern licenses were granted in 1807 to Jonathan Weaver, who paid therefor $3 in cash and gave a due bill for $2; James Purdy, who paid $5 in cash; and Walter Bement, who gave a due bill for $5. (Page 417) (Source: History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York, by James H. Smith; published by D. Mason + Co., Syracuse, NY, 1880, p. 648, 652)
This is a very short family line that was obtained via the Internet from the Family History Library (AFN: 1GZD-FFK). (Sept 1999)spouse: >Gwathmey, Eleanor Hart (1812 - )
WALTER BEMENT was in the Civil War, and wounded several times. He married in Augusta, Maine, and then removed to New York. Three children were born to them, one dying in infancy. At some point, by 1917, he took back the French spelling of his surname, Beaumont. (Source: Letter from Mrs. John Winfield (Cora Bement) Moses, Pittsfield, Maine to J. Granville Leach dated 27 Feb 1917). (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 353d)spouse: >Hartford, Gusta (~1844 - >1917)
WALTER BEMENT, was engaged in the manufacture of paper at Appleton, Wisconsin, and was an expert in the sulfide wood pulp process, in which he was eminently successful. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 386)spouse: >Weber, Sarah (1855 - )
WALTER EUGENE BEMENT, enlisted in the U.S. Army on his 21st birthday and saw active service in the Spanish-American War and Boxer Rebellion, contracting malaria which recurred for years and brought on heart failure from which he died. After his marriage 23 Jul 1905 at Little Falls, Minnesota they lived for a time at Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, then moved to Eau Claire, Wisconsin where he was engaged in the manufacture of paper, as his father, being promoted to the position of boss machine-tender several years before his death. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928, p. 386)spouse: >Lucia, Alice Sarah (1880 - 1917)
WALTER EZRA BEMENT was graduated at Elk Rapids, Michigan, High School in 1866, and became a teacher. He was subsequently connected with the Elk Rapids Iron Company, and later was manager of a large hardware store for the E. Bement's Sons of Lansing. Upon the dissolution of this firm, he became the manager and vice president of the Potter Hardware Company's store at Alpena, the most important house of its line in northern Michigan. At Elk Rapids he was an elder in the First Presbyterian Church, and superintendent of Sunday School, and at Lansing, a member of the Board of Trustees of its First Presbyterian Church. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928, p. 390)spouse: >Daniels, Sara Cooper (1870 - 1894)
WALTER PYNCHON BEMENT for a time lived at Pepperell, Massachusetts, removing about 1824 to Dexter, Maine where he settled on a farm, since known as Bement Hill. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, p. 173)spouse: >Hobart, Sarah (~1785 - )
Warren Bement was a farmer who moved to Minnesota in 1880 and to Crow Wing Township in 1887. (Source: Brøderbund WFT Vol. 28, Ed. 1, Pedigree #1682, Date of Import: 24 Nov 1998]spouse: >Campton, Olive M. (1873 - )
Wayne Bement was an electrician in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He died in his sleep of heart problems at the age of 39 years.spouse: >private
Wells Emmet Bement resided at Takoma Park, Maryland in 1957 and at Orlando from 1975-88 at least. He worked for the Library of Congress and was an elder of the Seventh Day Adventists when he did missionary work in the United States and India. He was in real estate before he retired. Two step-daughters from his second marriage. (Spencer BeMent, Ann Arbor, MI)spouse: >Barton, Edna (~1902 - )
ENSIGN WILLIAM BEMENT (3-5) was but a lad when his parents settled at Enfield, Connecticut, and it was the only town with which his youth or maturity was identified. His homestead, after manhood's estate had been reached, was near Buckhorn Brook, called Wallop. He was a large landed proprietor and had many holdings.spouse: >Terry, Hannah (1684 - 1759)
In early Connecticut the extensive ship building industry called for large supplies of pitch, tar and turpentine, which were likewise in great demand for the use of the British navy, and the construction of sailing crafts generally, and which, also, were almost the only products allowed by England for exportation. Extensive forests of yellow or pitch pine covered large tracts of the town of Enfield, which in common with Simsbury, Hartford, Windsor and some others, granted the privilege to box, for the collection of turpentine, a certain number of trees, which grant did not, necessarily, convey either the trees or the land.
Few of Enfield's inhabitants of that period recorded so many boxed trees as William. None of his sons followed his example in this respect. Acts of restriction were common and the turpentine business was not so extensively pursued in this as in the adjoining towns. There was a growing shortage of timber and conservation became necessary. The town meeting of 14 May 1724 "voted to empower the selectmen to sue for and recover of any person, or persons, the damage that is or may be done by boxing pine trees or drawing turpentine, or cutting any other timber trees contrary to law or Town or Commoners Act."
William filled acceptably to the town, the various offices of constable, juror, fence viewer, tithing man, town measurer, land measurer, surveyor of highways, and selectman. In 1719 he was one the committee "to search the records" with a view of determining the right of certain parties to disputed lands, and he was frequently in service on the school and other important town committees. At the time of his death, he was Ensign of the Enfield militia, and had probably filled this position for some years. The papers filed in the settlement of his estate are marked "Ensign Bement", the Treasurer's book of Enfield shows payments to Ensign Bement, 23 April and 25 Dec 1720, and he is so styled in the Town Records in1726.
His death, in the prime of manhood, occurred 13 Jan 1728 at 36 years of age. His will was executed the day before his death, and six days after that of his son John. The "Widow Hannah Bement, gentlewoman" was appointed guardian of her minor children, Samuel and Joseph. Hannah Bement was a woman of strong character and she brought to the family not only a portion of Captain Terry's broad acres, but also something of his energetic blood and moral fibre. Then too, she brought the Christian name of her brother, Ebenezer, Enfield's first native physician, and that of her father, Samuel, which latter has continued in more or less interrupted sequence to the present day.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928,, pp. 33-45
WILLIAM BEMENT was born in Enfield, Connecticut but the spirit of emigration had long been rife in the little community, and sometime before 1732 the desire for a wider outlook had taken him to Windham, from which he removed to Wethersfield, Connecticut before 1749 where he purchased some land. Later, he was of Great Barrington, Massachusetts and for many years was the innholder of the town, and the warden of the county prison.spouse: >Markham, Phoebe (1713 - <1803)
He was the innkeeper in the opening years of the Revolution. News of Lexington reached the inn on 30 Apr 1775, and at sunrise on the following day the southern regiment of the Berkshire Militia was on its way to Boston, completely equipped as to arms and generally so as to uniform. Two of his sons marched with the Minute Men and were commissioned staff officers; William Bement, Jr., armorer, and Ebenezer Bement, adjutant. They served through the year 1775, with their regiment in the fortifications at Roxbury, and subsequently in other commands. His remaining sons, Asa and Samuel, likewise saw service in the struggle for independence, while he at home substantially aided in advancing the common cause.
After the end of the Revolution in 1783 the Berkshire County area went through a period of unrest known as Shay's Rebellion. William continued at Great Barrington for some years following this period of unrest, held in much esteem by his fellow town men for his unswerving loyalty to the principles of true liberality, law and order. His declining days were spent at Stockbridge, Massachusetts where his estate was administered upon by his son, Asa Bement, 16 Feb 1798.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 66-75
WILLIAM BEMENT responded to the Lexington alarm at Great Barrington, Massachusetts, and served as armorer in the Eighth Massachusetts regiment in 1775 (Source: Mass. Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolution, Vol. 1), his name appearing in a list of officers to be commissioned, dated Roxbury Camp, 3 May 1775; it having been voted by the Massachusetts Committee of Safety, 15 May 1775, that he be appointed "to act as an armorer for the forces posted at Roxbury", at which time he was in Colonel John Fellows' regiment. His commission bore date of 7 June, following. Colonel Fellows' regiment was employed about Roxbury until the British evacuated Boston in 1776, after which it was ordered to New York, and was with Washington there, until the autumn, after which it was in the engagements at White Plains and at Princeton. On 1 Feb 1777, Colonel Fellows recommended William to the Council of Massachusetts, by letter of that date, as second lieutenant of the Matross Company, raised in Sheffield, for his regiment.spouse: >Sloan, Sarah (~1737 - 1797)
For many years preceding his death, William resided on Town Hill, in the northern part of Salisbury, some thirty miles from Hudson, New York, overlooking the beautiful twin lakes, Washining and Washinee, the green fields of Sheffield, Massachusetts, and the distant undulating blue of the Berkshire Hills.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 104-105
William Bement had William Combs of Wethersfield, child of Andrew Combs, bound to him until age 21, which was on 28 Mar 1767, to learn the trade of blacksmith. (Source: Apprentices of Connecticut, p.35, 01 Feb 1764).
WILLIAM BEMENT spent the first twelve years of his married life in Salisbury, Connecticut. He was, however, described as of Hudson in a deed dated 21 Jan 1803, and of Poughkeepsie, New York at his second marriage. Later he was of Albany, New York, at which place was the proprietor of the American Hotel, a position in which he was succeeded by this eldest son. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, pp. 162-163)spouse: >Nichols, Deborah (1775 - 1812)
REV. WILLIAM BEMENT studied at Amherst and at Dartmouth Colleges, being graduated from the latter institution in 1828; was a student at Princeton Theological Seminary, 1830-32; and at Yale Divinity School, 1832-33. On 16 Oct 1833, at Easthampton, Massachusetts, he was ordained to the ministry of the First Church of that town, "with unusual promise of usefulness by reason of thorough scholarship, patient industry, persevering energy, fine intellectual ability and ardent piety."spouse: >Pynchon, Sarah Whiting (1807 - 1865)
His connection with this church continued with "very great fidelity and unusual success" for seventeen years, when, in 1850, he resigned. Subsequently, he removed to Elmira, New York, where as pastor of the First Independent Congregational Church, he "at once commanded the highest respect of the entire community as a well trained, sound, Scriptural preacher of the Gospel, and as a faithful, attentive and most acceptable pastor."
Later, for five or six years, he labored in the ministry at Southport Corners, New York, and still later, became Superintendent of Public Schools of Elmira, "to which he brought excellent scholarship, sound judgement and unwearying industry." He also served as Minister of Park Church in Elmira, Chemung Co., New York. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 195) ___________________
William's wife, Sarah Whiting Pynchon, was a descendant of "Pynchon" family as noted in Nathaniel Hawthorn's "House of the Seven Gables". Hawthorne altered the spelling of Pynchon to "Pyncheon" to avoid legal complications in all probability. Pynchon family folklore indicated that there was some blood relationship to the Pynchon's in Sarah's family.
WILLIAM BEMENT was superintendent of the Victory Cotton Mills at Victory, New York for a short period of time. In 1847 he associated with an importing house in New York City, and was treasurer of the New York + New Haven Railroad from 1849 to 1870. In the latter year, he engaged in mining at Colorado, where he owned and operated an Ore Sampling Mill at Georgetown until retiring from active business in 1877. He married, as his first wife, his second cousin, Catherine Bacon Lewis. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 344)spouse: >Lewis, Catherine Bacon (1815 - 1876)
WILLIAM BEMENT occupied the homestead that was his father's, and then passed it on to his son, William Hosmer Bement, and he was one of the Conway's most successful farmers. Five generations of this branch of the family had been sheltered by its capacious wall and enjoyed its sylvan beauties by 1913. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 312)spouse: >Taylor, Sarah (1843 - 1874)
WILLIAM BARNES BEMENT was bred on a farm where the felling of forest timber mingled with the sounding anvil. He secured the educational advantages common to the New England rural community of that period, meanwhile displaying the bent of his mind by the employment of his leisure hours in the construction of a variety of rudimentary machines. This inherent love of mechanics, supplemented by practical experience in the working of iron in his fathers' forge, developed an inventive faculty, which was the corner-stone of his subsequent eventful and successful career.spouse: >Russell, Emily (1819 - 1894)
In 1894, he left the hills of Bradford, New Hampshire behind him and, going to Peterboro, in the same state, entered the employ of Messers. Moore + Colby, manufacturers of cotton and woolen machinery, Mr. Colby, the junior partner, being his brother-in-law. Here, his natural talent for work upon which he had entered was apparent from the outset, and in less than two years, and before his majority was reached, by the withdrawal of Mr. Colby, he was made a member of the firm, which became Moore + Bement. This position he relinquished after three years to seek a wider field at Manchester, New Hampshire, where with the Amoskeag Machine Company he remained from 1840 until 1843. In the latter year he was called to Mishawaka, Indiana to superintend a woolen machine shop which was consumed by fire on the eve of his arrival. He found himself adrift with little capital, save energy, mechanical skill, and experience.
Quite equal to the emergency thrust upon him, he at once established himself as a worker in iron, and as a gunsmith. While following the latter calling, in which branch of industry his ability became especially manifest, he was tendered the superintendency of the St. Joseph Iron Company's Machine Shops, which by his suggestion were enlarged and supplied with new machinery. Scarcely had this been accomplished, when a fire demolished the entire establishment. The company was, however, able to re-build upon a plan designed by Mr. Bement, within twenty-four hours after the disaster. During the years he was engaged at St. Joseph, he invented and constructed a variety of machines and tools, one of which, a gear-cutting machine, the first ever manufactured in the West, attracted market attention from machinists.
With a growing reputation he returned to New England in 1847, and at once undertook contracts to build cotton and woolen machinery for the Lowell Machine Shops, ultimately assuming the management of the pattern and design departments. Full scope was here afforded to his genius as inventor, designer, and draftsman; and the importance of his connection therewith, which continued for four years, was amply attested by a rapid enhancement in the reputation and popularity of the goods produced.
In 1851, came the opportunity of his life, when Elija D. Marshall of Philadelphia, then conducting a machine shop of moderate capacity, secured him as a partner. He accepted the new opening much in opposition to those with whom he had been associated, and also against the advice of his friends, but with a foresight that the outcome fully justified, he went to Philadelphia in September of the year named, accompanied by his nephew, Gilbert A. Colby, and for three years the firm was known as Marshall, Bement + Colby. In 1853, Mr. James Dougherty, a practical and thorough iron founder, became a partner, and two years later Messers Marshall and Colby retired from the firm and Mr. George C. Thomas, Sr. entered it, the firm name then being Bement, Dougherty and Thomas. The connection of the latter was but of short duration, for in 1857, Mr. Bement and Mr. Dougherty became sole proprietors. This continued until 1870, when Mr. Dougherty retired, and gave place to Clarence S. Bement, the eldest son of the senior partner, the firm becoming William B. Bement + Son. In July 1874, John M. Shrigley entered the firm, and in July 1879, William P. Bement, another son of the senior partner, was admitted. In 1885, a consolidation of this firm with the Machine Tool Works conducted by Frederick B. Miles was effected, and thenceforth the house was known as Bement, Miles + Co.
Immediately upon assuming charge in 1851, of what was later known as the Industrial Works, Mr. Bement devoted himself to the invention and manufacture of machine tools, and gradually developed the original small shop into an extensive manufacturing plant, whose specialties stood second to none in America, and only to Whitworth's in Manchester, England, perhaps not second to that, and which established the reputation of the firm.
As evidencing the growth of the enterprise with which Mr. Bement's name and personality were so long identified, a letter from him to his nephew, William Walker Bement, of Mishawaka, bearing the date of 15 Aug 1852, described the works and the then business outlook.
In 1888, Mr. Bement transferred his interest to his sons, and withdrew from the business to enjoy the rest and recreation to which his years of active service entitled him, the Works covered a full city block. They extended form Twentieth to Twenty-first Street and from Callowhill Street to Pennsylvania Avenue, with a frontage on Callowhill Street of 497 feet, and on Twenty-first Street of 265 feet, and embraced a machine shop, smith shop, foundry and completely equipped brass foundry. Branches of the Philadelphia + Reading Railroad entered the premises to deliver coal and iron at convenient points. The pattern store-house, a fire-proof building, nearly one hundred feet long by forty feet wide, contained on its three floors, the patterns of more than one hundred and eighty machines, which represented the best practice of that day. The machine shops were among the best equipped in the United States, and their productions were to be found in almost every locomotive, car building, railway, ship building, steel and ordinance plants in the country. (For a full description of the Industrial Works, see the Manufactories and Manufacturers of Pennsylvania of the Nineteenth Century Supplement in the Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928, pp. 273.5, i-vii).
In his particular line of mechanics, as a designer and draftsman, Mr. Bement had few equals. Others might, with scientific skill, elaborate a great design; but his was the swift vision, and the almost as swift execution of genius. There are instances in his career, of designs furnished under the spur of time and necessity, which are still masterly.
The victory of Mr. Bement's life had been accomplished. In the practical end, toward which he progressed with the exercised might of an earnest and conscientious manufacturer, he was assisted by his partners, who shared his faith in the success of real merit, for it was this which made him a leader, and the Industrial Works of Philadelphia a power.
He was a lover of the fine arts, and their generous patron, as the well-stored galleries of his residence amply testified. His artistic treasures were accumulated during years of observation, and were placed at the service of artists, art students, and of the interested public. Among them were not only masterpieces of foreign artists, but works indicating his appreciation of native talent, and his determination to foster it. For many years he was a director of the School of Design for Women, and of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, contributing liberally by his means and counsel, to the accomplishment of the many benefits these institutions are still conferring upon the community.
Mr. Bement was an Independent Republican in politics, and served one term as a member of Common Council, being elected from the Fifteenth Ward on the Republican and Citizen's Committee tickets, by a decisive majority. He was a member of the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Franklin Institute, Union League from 1866, and the Manufacturers' Club. At the time of his decease, he was a director of the Bank of the Republic, and of the Sagamore Hotel Company of Lake George, at which beautiful spot, he had for many years established his summer home. His religious convictions were strong, he was a regular attendant at the services of the Universalist Church of the Messiah and the Restoration, an a generous contributor to the furtherance of their work.
His was a strong personality, the embodiment of the best type of the Christian gentleman of affairs. Modest in bearing, a respecter of the opinions of others, with a high regard for the ties of kinship and friendship, he was a man of catholic soul, persistent optimism and large hospitality. The words of the old classic, Biden Urbanitas et Humanitas, very well described Mr. Bement's characteristics. He saw life clearly, and as a whole; was tolerant in his judgements; one who enjoyed the esteem of his business associates and subordinates. In a word, he was what his workmen called "straight." Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 269-275 ______________________
He resided with his son, Clarence Sweet Bement, at 1814 Spring Garden in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1890. (Source: 1890 Philadelphia City Directory)
WILLIAM BRIGGS BEMENT served in the Civil War from 1864-65 as a member of Company E, 8th Regiment, Vermont Volunteers; and resided at Melrose Highlands, Massachusetts around 1912. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 278)spouse: >Towle, Mary S. (1853 - )
William Brown Bement married Ruth Bartlett Lyman. She was the daughter of his step mother, Lucy (Bishop) Lyman, by her first husband, Noah Lyman.spouse: >Lyman, Ruth Bartlett (1799 - )
William Burr Bement removed to California in 1908 and was married by the Reverend Jarr of the First Methodist Church in 1912 in Los Angeles. He resided in Bakersfield and San Luis Obispo by 1913 and removed to the vicinity of Cortland, New York after 1917. They were in Lagrange Township, Dutchess County, New York about 1919. He was a farm laborer there in 1920 and was at or near Cortland/Homer in 1932 and 1956 where he owned a junk yard. Earlier they resided in Redding, California. Marie resided in McGraw in September 1951 and had a brother named Albert. She may be buried in the rural Cortland Cemetery with several of her children. William is presumably buried in Calimesa, California. (Source: Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan; June 1998)spouse: >Redding, Marie (1892 - 1955)
William C. Bement married Thankful Paddock, daughter of Elisha Paddock and his wife Hannah Taft. (Source: Genealogical Register of Plymouth Families, p. 199)spouse: >Paddock, Thankful Taft (1815 - 1861)
Buried at United Church, Freelandville, Indiana.spouse: >Scafert, Mary (>1881 - )
WILLIAM EATON BEMENT spent practically all his life at Manchester, Ontario County, New York, having removed there with his father while an infant. He was by occupation a farmer, as were his sons. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 229)spouse: >Newell, Laura A. (1821 - 1903)
WILLIAM FISHER BEMENT was a successful farmer, but his strength proved unequal to his ambition and courage, and a hemorrhage of the lungs cut short a career of much promise. At one time he was president of the Farmers' Club of Easthampton, and active in promoting its welfare. He was a member of the Easthampton First Church of which his uncle, the Rev. William Bement, was the second pastor, and a constant attendant upon its services. "He was a man of blameless life, and one who enjoyed in high degree the respect and esteem of his townspeople". (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 311)spouse: >Pomeroy, Ella Lucena (~1853 - )
WILLIAM HARRISON BEMENT was married twice, to sisters Jane and Hortense Mitchell. His youngest son was killed in the Civil War. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 139)spouse: >Mitchell, Jane (~1813 - )
WILLIAM HENRY BEMENT died 23 years of age. He was married, spouse name unknown, and left minor children for whom Henry Stocking (probably a relative on his mother's side) was appointed guardian (Source: Hampden County, Massachusetts, Registry of Probate, No. 982). (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 136)
WILLIAM HENRY BEMENT was a farmer at Manchester, New York when he responded to his country's call for soldiers. He enlisted and was a Corporal in Company D, 111th Regiment, New York Volunteers when he was killed in battle at Petersburgh, Virginia in 1865 near the end of the Civil War. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 337)spouse: >Stafford, Susan Lucena Townsend (1841 - 1896)
WILLIAM HENRY BEMENT, was born 11 May 1869 at Saranac, Michigan and died before 1925 before fifty-six years of age; married (1) Susie Belle Sanford at Lowell, Michigan on 7 Sep 1892; born 11 Feb 1872 at Cedar Springs, Michigan, and died 14 Mar 1898 at 27 years of age at Grand Rapids, Michigan; daughter of Henry David Sanford by his wife Artha Linda Tanner, married (2) Mrs. Jennie (Baker) Timmis on 17 May 1900 at Grand Rapids, Michigan; born about 1869 in England, died 19 Dec 1904 at 35 years of age at Grand Rapids, buried in Fairplains Cemetery, daughter of James/Henry Baker by his wife Jane Giles of Ontario, Canada; married (3) Mrs. Emma (Rickling) Hoffman on 15 Aug 1905 at/of Grand Rapids, born 1866 in Wisconsin, died after 1925, daughter of Frank Rickling by his wife Mary Miller.spouse: >Sanford, Susan Belle (1872 - 1899)
William was a Grand Rapids letter carrier in 1900-1909 at least and a laborer there in 1912. He was also believed to be a Past Master of the Masonic Lodge in Grand Rapids. In February 1914 he was the new proprietor of the Hotel Arbor Rest ($10.00-$12.00 per week) at Pentwater, Michigan. In 1918 he had furnished rooms in Grand Rapids that were continued by his widow in 1925. He may have been estranged from his son. The only child of William Henry and Susan Belle (Sanford) Bement was Lyle Henry Bement. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 293) LDS AFN: PSDZ-5G
William H. Bement married Susan B. Sanford September 7, 1893. He was 24 resident of Grand Rapids, Mi. She was 21 resident of Kent Co., MI. He was born in Saranac, Ionia Co., MI. She was born in Cedar Springs, MI. He was a mail carrier, she was a type setter, his parents were Henry P. Bement and Fidelia Rogers. Her parents were Henry Sanford and Arthalinda Tanner. Ernest H. Shanks...pastor Baptist Church, withnesses Matthew and Mary Hunter. (Source: Kent County Records, Book 11 Page 124 of marraige records)
WILLIAM HENRY PAGE BEMENT was a carpenter. His family always lived in Dexter, Penobscot County, Maine. He worked in Hartford, Connecticut for several years. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 260f)spouse: >Tucker, Tylepha (~1813 - )
William Hosmer Bement was educated at Conway High School and at the Shelburne Falls Academy. He never held public office, but was a much esteemed citizen of his native town. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928, p. 312)spouse: >Lee, Cora Lincoln (1865 - >1912)
WILLIAM L. BEMENT was born at LaGrange, Ohio and died at the Odd Fellows Home in Jackson, Michigan; married 28 Nov 1876 (1) Caroline "Mina" E. Elder, daughter of George and Mary (Wilson) Elder, born 5 Oct 1856 in Michigan; Ohio father, Canadian mother, died 22 Mar 1931 at 74 years of age; (2) 8 Nov 1931 Mrs. Livonia (Roberts) Sweet, born 1855 at Dimondale, died 22 Apr 1940 at Onondaga, Ingham County, Michigan of a stroke, daughter of William and Eliza (Welsh) Roberts, all buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Eaton Rapids, Michigan.spouse: >Elder, Caroline E. (1856 - 1931)
Before 1900 William and family removed to Eaton Rapids where he did general farming. In 1920 he was a stripper in a woolen mill there. He married his schoolmate Livonia after each of their first spouses died. She had several children by her first husband including Berth Childs in whose home she died. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 140b, 140c)
WILLIAM ORCUTT BEMENT was accidently killed, along with his older brother, Daniel Harrison Bement, at Petroleum Center, Pennsylvania in the explosion of a steam boiler at one of their oil wells. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 205, 320)
WILLIAM OSCAR BEMENT was a soldier in the Civil War in defence of the Union, enlisting in Company I, 134th Indiana Volunteers. Like his father, he was a machinist and inventor, and was retired and living at Shrewsbury, Massachusetts about 1913. He only had issue by his first marriage, but he and his third wife, Ida Bement, legally adopted Edith Marion Adams, on 1 January 1900. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 376)spouse: >Hardesty, Laura (1846 - 1876)
WILLIAM PARKER BEMENT became a partner in 1879 in the firm of William S. Bement + Son, continuing therein through the changes until August 1899 when the business merged into the Miles-Bement-Pond Company. No longer in active business life by 1913 he was a member of the Union League of Philadelphia, the Franklin Institute, the Academy of Fine Arts, the Pennsylvania Historical Society, and the Philadelphia Country Club; and was a Republican in politics. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America; 1928, p. 371). He resided near his father at 2027 Spring Garden, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Source: 1890 Philadelphia City Directory)spouse: >Van Beil, Caroline (1856 - >1912)
William Payson Bement resided in Clarkville, Iowa in 1889, and he and his wife, Mae Livonia Miller, resided in Rockford, Illinois in 1918. They had two daughters, Orile was a teacher and Thelma Levona Bement was nurse in Jessup, Iowa in 1920-26. (Source: Spencer BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan)spouse: >Miller, Mae Livonia (~1858 - >1918)
He was a flagman for the Illinois Central Railroad, and is buried in Jesup, Iowa (Source: Glenna Landry, Knoxville, Tennessee, Sept. 1999)
William Robinson Bement was born very late in his mother's life. In fact, they had given up the thought of having children when he arrived. He worked for the American LaFrance Fire Engine Company in Elmira, New York, where he was forman of the brass shop. He was handy with his hands. William, called "Popoo" by his family, was a small man not much over 5' tall and was born with a hearing defect. His wife Marie Goetz went by the name of "Mamie." She was known by her family as "Grammar", and was the family matriarch. In 1920 they resided at Elmira, New York. They had a nice cottage on Seneca Lake from 1934 to 1941. (Source: Pynchon Family records, and Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, MI)spouse: >Goetz, Marie (1884 - 1977)
WILLIAM WALKER BEMENT was an edge tool manufacturer at Mishawaka and South Bend, Indiana. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 354)spouse: >Dunning, Martha Jane (1827 - 1912)
Agnes Bennett was an "old maid" school teacher.
Had no issue.
DALTON EDWARD BENNETT was employed as a supervisor at the Keds Division of the Lycoming Rubber Company and was to have been transferred to the Naugatuck, Conn. plant when he was killed in an automobile accident while traveling at a high rate of speed about three miles west of Newberry, PA. Had no issue. After Dalton's death, Maude moved to Washington, D.C. and worked for the government. Both Dalton and Maude are buried at Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Hughesville, PA. (Source: Martha (Bennett) Howard, March 1998)spouse: >Kobble, Maude (1893 - 1972)