CONSIDER BEMENT, born at Springfield, Massachusetts on 25 Feb 1761; died after 19 Sep 1802. Married, intention of, recorded in Springfield 30 Sep 1786, Mary "Polly" Orcutt of Belchertown, Massachusetts.spouse: >Orcutt, Mary (1766 - 1845)
In 1779, Consider was on duty at Springfield in Captain John Carpenter's Company of Guards, and he probably saw later service. During Shay's Rebellion, as a member of Captain Joseph Harris' Company, Colonel Giddeon Burt's Regiment, he marched to the support of the government at Springfield, 17 Jan 1787, and his name appears on the payroll of that company. (Source: Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolution, Vol. 1; Massachusetts Archive, Military Series, Liber 191, f 277). Children of Consider and Polly (Orcutt) Bement recorded at Springfield, and there may have been others: Elihu, Julius, John, Mary and William. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 130-131)
Consider Bement served as a private, 1779-80, under Captain Carpenter and Browning, Colonel Murray's Massachusetts regiment. In 1832 he applied for a pension. His claim was allowed. (Source: DAR records, Volume 105, p. 204, ID#104613)
CONSTANCE BEMENT graduated with an A.B. degree from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1905; and the Pratt Institute Library School in Brooklyn, New York in 1910; and was Library Organizer at the Michigan State Library about 1913. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, p. 385b) ___________________
The following is a transcription of the obituary of Constance Bement:
Library Leader Is Death Victim Miss Constance Bement, 63, Was Eminent in Field
Miss Constance Bement, 63, of 312 West Genessee Street, prominent in state library circles and a member of one of Lansing's best-known families, died early Thursday morning in a local hospital. She had been ill since January 8.
A descendant of the founders of the old E. Bement's Sons Stove Works in Lansing, Miss Bement resigned in January as director of extension work of the state library . She had held the position since 1924, when she returned to Lansing from Port Huron where she had been librarian.
After graduating from the University of Michigan and attending the Pratt Library Institute, Miss Bement joined the state library staff. Later she left to assume a similar position in Detroit and went from the state metropolis to Port Huron.
Born in Lansing, Miss Bement graduated from old Lansing high school before entering the university.
Headed National Body
Active in state and national library groups, Miss Bement was president of the National League of Library Commissioners from 1937 to 1939. She was a past president of the Michigan Library association and a member of the American Association of University Women, American Library association and U and I Club.
Surviving are a brother, Roberts E. Bement, 505 Seymour Avenue, two nieces, and two nephews. The body was removed to the Estes-Leadley funeral home, where is will remain until Saturday morning, when it will be taken to the home of her brother for funeral services at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Rev. Dale Turner, assistant pastor of Plymouth Congregational Church will officiate, with burial in Mt. Home Cemetery.
CYRENIUS ELIHU BEMENT, after the decease of his father, conducted the home farm for a period, but becoming an expert in the manufacture of wood tooth gear wheels, then so much used in machinery, he went finally to Appleton, Wisconsin at the beginning of the development of the Fox River, for the purpose of building water power for the citizens of that locality, and one of the organizers of local government. At one time he held the office of County Treasurer.spouse: >Coddington, Arminda D. (~1823 - 1858)
From 1865 to 1871 he resided at Waukegan, Illinois, removing in the latter year to Chicago, where he died from an injury received during a building operation at Appleton, and which had made him a partial invalid during his later years. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 318)
DAISY BEMENT was married twice to brothers by the name of Young, first names not available. No children are believed to have been born by either marriage. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928, p. 181q, xxvii.)spouse: >Young, ???1 (<1888 - )
Daniel Bement married (1) Dorcas Dodge (Source: Bement Chronicles) and after her death (2) Nancy Nichols who survived him (Source: Irma Elizabeth "Betty" (Bement) Eis, from a family notebook that was kept by Clara Juliette Bement)spouse: >Dodge, Dorcas (1781 - 1840)
Daniel removed from Ashfield to Buckland, Massachusetts before 1815 where he farmed. He was active in Church and community affairs, being appointed field driver in 1831. His widow, Nancy, suffered paralysis and died while boarding with Alvah and Julie Taylor. (Source: Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, MI)
DANIEL BEMENT (7-277c) removed to Centerville, Pennsylvania in 1816, traveling with wagon and ox team. At Centerville the little family lived in a log house until the new home could be built, which was a commodious one with brick oven and wide fire place. In the orchard the trees were named for the children of the pioneers, and precious memories made the new home a hallowed spot to those whose early life was spent there. Nancy was the daughter of a sea captain who was drowned when she was eleven years old, and came from a family of nine or ten children. Her mother's maiden name was Riggs. Daniel was a pioneer tanner and farmer. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 181d) ___________________spouse: >Kimball, Nancy (1792 - 1862)
Daniel was the first tanner and currier in the Northwestern part of Pennsylvania. Shortly after his marriage he walked from Southington, Connecticut to Centerville, Pennsylvania in search of a tract of land with hemlock trees to be used as a die for boots and saddles. He purchased a 1,000 acre tract of land from the William Penn Land Company. At that time or sometime later he built a log cabin in preparation for his families return. In 1816 he returned to Centerville with an ox team and wagon, a journey that took six weeks. The little family lived in the log house until their new home was built a mile east of Centerville, site of one of the oldest settlements in the eastern part of the country. This house, of white oak and pine, was commodious for its day with brick oven and wide fireplaces. It still contains a five foot square chimney constructed entirely of very small brick, the standard at the times of its construction. In the orchard the trees were named for the children of the pioneers and precious memories made the new home a hallowed spot to those whose early life was spent there. Eventually he divided his original tract of land among his family. (Source: Supplement to the Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, Nov. 1992, p. 181b; Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
DANIEL HARRISON BEMENT was, for some years after his marriage, a Captain on the Great Lakes, sailing from Buffalo, New York to Duluth, Michigan. Upon the inception of the petroleum oil business in Pennsylvania, he was early in the field where as early as 1862 men of brains and enterprise were reaping rich reward by drawing from the fruitful stock houses of nature, a product even then of high value, but destined shortly to become one of the great staples of the world. With his brothers he labored indefatigably in sinking wells and producing petroleum, but an explosion of a steam boiler in one of his wells cut off his life and that of his youngest bother, William Orcutt Bement, before great success could reward his effort. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, 1928, pp. 205, 320)spouse: >Handy, Jedediah (1830 - 1888)
Daniel Henry Bement married Minerva Alzada Platt in 1871, and divorced after 1884. At seventeen Daniel came to Michigan with his parents and married five years later. In 1880 he was innkeeper of the Bement Hotel at Alleyton Village (near White Cloud, Michigan) where about that time he was also an Oddfellow and Alleyton sheriff and also worked as a carpenter. In 1884 he farmed in Brooks Township. After his divorce he went to Oregon and staked a claim. He died of a heart attack and was returned to Michigan for burial. Minerva lost her inheritance on a bad real estate investment. She married and divorced a Mr. Hoppe and resided with her son, George, and his second wife, Minnie, in Ann Arbor after the failure of her second marriage. (Source: Supplement to the Chronicles of the Bement Family in America, Nov. 1992, p. 344; Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan)spouse: >Platt, Minerva Alzada (1850 - 1931)
Daniel Holmes Bement is also included in the: Genealogy of the Descendants of John White of Wenham and Lancaster, Massachusetts, 1638-1900, Vol II, pp. 74-75 by Almira Larkin White, Haverhill, Massachusetts, Chase Brothers, Printers, 1900.spouse: >Frost, Arvilla Theresa (1829 - 1913)
Name not known, died young.
LIEUTENANT DAVID BEMENT was a prominent citizen of Suffield, Connecticut. Inheriting a military instinct, he served as a private in the Connecticut troops in the expedition against Crown Point, Essex Co., New York (French and Indian War), during 1755, and, in the following year, in the expedition against Fort Edward. On 13 June 1778, he was commissioned lieutenant of the First Company of the Suffield Militia (Records of the State of Connecticut; Volume ii, Page 3). (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, 91-92)spouse: >Wright, Rhoda (1756 - 1817)
CAPTAIN DAVID BEMENT was a Captain of the Militia at Suffield, Connecticut. He owned lands at Thompsonville in Enfield, as well as at Suffield, which his son, David W. Bement, conveyed by quit claim deed to James Stevens of Suffield, 28 Feb 1851 (Source: Suffield Land Records, Liber 22, f. 266). (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, p. 135)spouse: >Phelps, Lucy (~1786 - 1813)
The information on the descendants of Captain David Bement by his first wife, (1) Lucy Phelps, and his second wife, (2) Parmelia Thayer, was provided by John Arthur Harrison of Richland, Michigan; and Helen Harrison of Pennington, NJ. The information on his descendants by his third wife, (3) Lydia (Smith) Woodworth, was provided by Gary Walter Bement of Cortland, New York. (Dennis BeMent, Dec. 1997). David Bement was a bridge tender according to the 1850 Connecticut census. An inventory of his assets and debts from his will indicates that his assets amounted to $2,110.98, the amount distributed to his heirs was $1,714.98, divided into $571.63 for his widow (Lydia Bement) and $142.90 each for his 8 living children (by his second and third wives). Records also indicate that (3) Lydia (Smith) Woodworth Bement later married (3) Charles A. Abbe as her third husband, her name being Abbe at the time of her death in 1872 when James Almon Bement was appointed executor of her estate. (Gary W. Bement, March 1998)
CAPTAIN DAVID BEMENT went with his father to Ontario County, New York, and later to Chautauqua County, in the same state. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the Sixth Regiment of New York Riflemen, with the rank from 29 March 1928, being promoted to a captaincy in the same regiment, with rank from 1 August 1829. About 1838, he removed to Hillsdale, Hillsdale County, Michigan where he had land from the State of Michigan by deed of 30 June 1838.spouse: >Bird, Eliza (1810 - 1862)
He was a farmer and builder, and erected the first stone court house and jail in Hillsdale County. He was also a member of the Masonic Order. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 219)
DAVID DOREMUS BEMENT was at various times a school committeeman; librarian of the Second Baptist Church for thirty-six years, and a deacon there from 1890 through at least 1913. He never married, and was still living in Suffield, Connecticut in August of 1913. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 216)
DAVID BEMENT, in 1836, while still a young man, went out to the then wilderness of Michigan and entered lands in what is now Adamsville, Mason Township, Cass County, Michigan. He removed there two years later, spending the remaining forty years of his life in that section, a kind, warm-hearted neighbor, an unflinching Democrat, a good citizen, and honest man, the whole community mourned his loss. (Source: Pioneer Society of Michigan, Vol. iv., p. 229). (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 227)spouse: >Schutt, Roxana Atilda (1819 - 1889)
CAPTAIN DENNIS BEMENT gained distinction in his native town of Enfield, and was much esteemed in his day. His first office, in 1741, was as usual, the constableship and this was followed, some ten years later, by that of selectman, which he filled acceptably for seventeen years, meanwhile holding other town offices and serving on important committees. About the middle of the eighteenth century Enfield directed considerable attention to her schools and selected Lt. Bement, and several others, to establish where the several schools would be built.spouse: >Abbe, Mary (1715 - 1788)
In matters of militant Mr. Bement also bore a conspicuous part. At the October session, 1751, the General Court of the Colony "confirmed Mr. Dennis Bement to be lieutenant of the South Company or train band in Enfield, and ordered that he be commissioned accordingly." (Source: Connecticut Colonial Records, Vol. x, 53; Vol. xi, 561.) He was in active service in the French and Indian Wars as lieutenant of the Fourth Company, Third Regiment of Connecticut troops. (Source: Connecticut Historical Society Collections, French and Indian War Rolls, Vol. 1). He took part from 30 Aug to 8 Dec 1755 in the campaign planned against Fort William Henry, Fort Edward and Crown Point, and the had the good fortune to be with General Phineas Lyman at the victory of Lake George, 8 Sep 1755, by which almost the entire French regular force was broken up. In the expedition of 1760 for the general reduction of Canada, he was engaged from 24 Mar to 25 Nov of that year, as lieutenant in the ninth company, First Regiment Connecticut militia, David Parsons of Enfield, Captain; Major General Phineas Lyman commanding. It was in recognition of this service, no doubt, that Lieutenant Bement attained a captaincy. In May 1761 he was chosen Captain, being the seventh to hold that office.
At the time of the passage of the Stamp Act by the British Parliament and the protest threat by the Connecticut General Assembly, Captain Bement was serving Enfield as selectman, which town, in common with all Connecticut, shared largely in the intense feeling engendered by this and the subsequent rapid march of events: the Boston Tea Party, the Boston Port Bill, the Massachusetts Act and the preparations of Massachusetts for active resistance. The spirt of Enfield, which was the Bement spirit too, rose in loyalty to Colonist interest and hatred of British oppression. Meetings of indignation were held, and news of Lexington reached the town by mounted messenger while the people were assembled at the regular Thursday weekday lecture. At the next meeting, seventy-four men, fully equipped, commenced their march for Boston, Major, afterward Colonel Nathaniel Terry commanding, and among them marched Captain Bement's youngest son, Edmund Bement, then in his twenty-sixth year, and his son-in-law, Lieutenant, later Captain Richard Abbe.
Captain Bement survived all the vicissitudes of the long struggle, then at its birth, contributing of the best and in various ways to its successful consummation. The main theatre of the war was, from the beginning, outside of Connecticut boundary, though her coast towns were at intervals attacked by the enemy, and Stonington, Danbury, New Haven, Fairfield and New London suffered seriously. Those of her sons who were kept from the seat of the war found at home ample opportunity for labor and loyalty. Each town was a miniature Commonwealth whose business, for the moment, was to fill its quota of troops for the field and to provide for their maintenance. Inheriting a portion of his father's lands, Captain Bement kept one of those inns of refreshment, which were not only the traveler's joy of those older days, but the great centers of the revolutionary movement and sentiment, arsenal, and even hospital combined.
From there it was, that Captain Bement, rich in years and experience, followed the wife of his youth to rest on burial hill, while all around, equally at rest were the playmates of his youth and friends of riper years.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 55-63.
ENSIGN DENNIS BEMENT was an officer in the militia, and held town office in Enfield, Connecticut. His will of 2 Mar 1815 shows a comfortable estate. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, pp. 95-96)spouse: >Adams, Lydia (1747 - 1829)
Thelma D. Pittman of Davis, North Carolina (e-mail: tdpittman@@webtv.net) is a descendant of this family line via Deodate Bement, John Beaumont, Elizabeth Beaumont Pond, Sylvester E. Pond, and Delia Pond Davis and may be a possible contributor this branch of the family tree. (Sept. 1999)
Dicie Ann Bement married at the age of sixteen years to Issaac Ballard who 21 years at the time. No issue.spouse: >Ballard, Issac A. (~1840 - )
Buried in the Pleasant Ridge Cemetery in Velpen, Pike Co., Indiana.
Don Bement descendant information was provided by his granddaughter, Lois (LaFever) Overhiser of Rochester, New York; e-mail: lkoverhiser@@juno.com (Oct 1999)spouse: >Rowe, Ethel Maude (1897 - 1949)
Dorcas Bement married (1) Apollos Rising who died at 42 years of age leaving his 29 year old wife with three very young children. Sometime thereafter she married (2) John Matthews and removed to Hector, New York. John Matthews became guardian of her children. Dorcas' younger sister, Patience, married Eli Rising, Jr., the son of Apollos Rising's brother, Eli Rising.spouse: >Rising, Apollos (1768 - 1810)
Much of the information on the Rising family in these records was provided by Elaine Rising of Grants Pass, Oregon (e-mail: aerising@@cdsnet.net). This family is researched in the book, the "Rising Genealogy, Descendants of Jonathan Rising of Suffield, CT." The major researcher of the Rising Family is Gale J. Bunner, 409 East 34th Ave., Winfield, KS 67156-8714. (March 1999)
DOROTHY MONTGOMERY BEMENT received A.B. and M.A. degrees from Smith College in 1912 and 1920. She taught at Miss Glendinning's School in New Haven (1912-15), Miss Capen's School in Northampton (1915-21), and Walnut Hill School in Natic (1921-24). In 1924 she co-founded the Northampton School for Girls in Northampton, Massachusetts.
Dorothy was Decorated Officer d'Academie (France), a member of the American Association of University Women, American Association of Teachers of French, the North East Modern Language Association, the North East Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, the Headmistresses Association, the National Association of Principals of Schools for Girls, the Educational Records Bureau, Business and Professional Women s Club, Editor of the School Edition: Les Malheurs de Sophie, 1915. (Source: Who's Who of American Women, First Edition, Vol. 1, 1958-1959). In this later work written while in New Haven she successfully overcame the usual objections of simple French stories used for elementary reading.
Dorothy retired to Sarasota, Florida where she resided until her death in 1983.
Bement Chronicles in America Supplement Spencer L. BeMent, 1996, p. 298c
DWIGHT REUBEN BEMENT, M.D., was much beloved in the town of Mount Ayr, Iowa where his professional life had mainly been spent, and where he had also been active in the church, fraternal and official circles. At his decease many tributes were paid "to his strength of character, uprightness, stability, and beautiful Christian life." Upon his death the Town of Mount Ayr "resolved that the council chamber and town shall be draped in mourning for the space of thirty days, and these resolutions be spread upon the records". (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 385) _____________________spouse: >Orr, Anna M. (~1846 - <1886)
The following is transcription of the obituary of Dwight Reuben Bement, M.D.:
Tuesday, January 11, 1910 DR. D.R. BEMENT DIES SUDDENLY Prominent Physician of Mr. Ayr Succumbs to Heart Failure
Dr. D. R. Bement, one of the most prominent physicians of Ringgold County, died suddenly last evening about 7:30 o'clock. Death came very suddenly and unexpectedly and was due to heart failure. The doctor had just returned from a drive in the country, upon which he had been accompanied by his wife and little daughter. He drove up in front of H. H. Wilson + Co.'s store, alighted from the sleigh and carried the baby into the store. Returning to the sleigh he helped the wife out and drove the team to Wheeler's barn. He seemed in his usual spirits and upon entering the barn called to the men in charge and Harry Wheeler and Ed Long came out to unhitch the team. The doctor threw back the robe, made some passing remark about having been given the wrong robe, and without attempting to move from the seat grasped for breath, and Bent Terrell and Henry Hucke came out of the office to see what was wrong. They went to support the doctor while George Kling telephoned for Dr. C. T. Lesau. Dr. Lesau responded at once, but when he arrived the beating of the pulse had almost ceased.
Dr. Bement was one of the best physicians in Ringgold County. He was a man of good habits, and was always cheerful. He was conscientious in his practice and was ever ready to sacrifice is own comfort and pleasure for the benefit of his patients. The passing of Dr. Bement is a distinct loss t the community. No one was better liked and his death casts the shadow of sorrow over the entire community.
Dr. Bement was born in Indiana, but removed to Ohio where he grew to young manhood and from that state as a mere youth he volunteered as a private in the 169th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving several months during the close of the war. He saw some severe service and took a manly pride in his civil war experiences. He was a very modest man and never boasted. All knowledge of his war experiences had to be drawn from him. The doctor came to Ringgold County in 1874 and practiced medicine at Goshen, a village in Grant township which has since passed away.. He was the leading physician in that part of the county for eleven years. In 1885 he moved to Kansas and remained there six years, returning to Mt. Ayr in the spring of 1891. Here he has enjoyed a lucrative practice. He has passed through many home sorrows, having lost his first wife in Kansas and the second one here. He lost two promising sons when just entering a bright manhood. In all these sorrows he bore himself as a Christian gentleman. Some years ago he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Sloan and a daughter came to the home. A devoted wife, little daughter Hortense, and two sons, L.O. Bement, of this county, and Fred Bement, of Escanaba, Mich., mourn his sudden death.
Dr. Bement early made a profession of faith in Christ and honored that profession by a consistent Christian life. He was a living epistle of Christ, known and read of all men. The time and incidents pertaining to the funeral will be announced later.
Earle Dodge Bement was said to have been first named Ezekial, and called little Zeke, but all papers show Earle, or in later years, Earl, for the dropped the "e". He served in World War I and was a dairy farmer. (Source: Irma Elizabeth "Betty" (Bement) Eis, Bonaparte, Iowa, October 1998)
MAJOR EBENEZER BEMENT removed to Great Barrington, Massachusetts with his father, of which town he was later a much esteemed citizen. In the Revolutionary struggle he bore an honorable part as an officer, becoming at the "Lexington Alarm" adjutant of the regiment of "Minute Men", commanded by Colonel John Fellows, and, in the following year, 1776, he held the same position in the Berkshire County Regiment of militia, and was in active service at or near Peekskill, New York. Subsequently, he served in the Continental Army, as brigade-major of Major General Patterson's brigade, from 10 June 1777 to 12 Aug 1779 (Source: Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolution, Vol. 1).spouse: >Williams, Susannah (1755 - 1828)
On 14 Dec 1780 he was appointed by the town to act with other commissioned officers in procuring men to serve for three years, or during the war in the Continental Army. In the same year he was made surveyor of highways and continued to hold various town offices. About this time, he became the host of the Great Barrington Inn, and so continued until Lenox became his home, as from 1 Feb 1781, the town records show that the duly warned town meeting was frequently adjourned to his house. During the same period he was likewise warden of the county prison, until its transference with the Courts to the newly erected county seat at Lenox in 1790 when he is described as of that town "gentleman". He was also High Sheriff and jailer of Berkshire County for many years prior to his death. Major Bement was a considerable property holder at Great Barrington on Townsend Mountain, and the adjoining town of Alford, Lenox, Windsor and Williamstown. After his death, his lands at Lenox were sold to the County of Berkshire, subject to the dower right of his widow, then 17 Aug 1796, Susanna Kinsman. He died intestate and his estate was administered upon by his brother, Asa Bement, Esq., who was appointed thereto, 14 May 1794.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 109-110
EBENEZER BEMENT became about 1796, a settler at Bloomfield, Ontario County, New York in that portion, which, in 1812, became the town of Victor. In 1806 he was commissioned ensign of the militia company of that district, and advanced to the captaincy in 1808 (Source: Report of New York State Historian Council of Appointments, Vol. II, pp. 825-965). He was one of the proprietors of the meeting house in the North Congregational Society of Bloomfield, erected in 1801, the first church edifice in all Western New York, and he was a member of the Congregational Society of Victor, previous to 1813. (Source: History of the First Presbyterian Church at Victor). (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, pp. 167-168)spouse: >Brace, Susanna (~1768 - >1814)
All of the information on the descendants of Esther (Bement) Peabody, and her husband, John Peabody, was provided by their third great grand-daughter, Barbara Lois (Wade) Googe of Prescott, Arizona. (January 1998).spouse: >Peabody, John (1768 - 1835)
EDMOND BEMENT was a private in the Enfield Company of Militia which responded to the "Lexington Alarm". He never married. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, p. 63)
EDMUND BEMENT (3-4), was born 10 Jan 1671 at Wenham, Essex County, Massachusetts; and died 1 Jan 1744/45 at 73 years of age at Enfield, Connecticut. He married (1) Prudence Morgan (born about 1675 and died 30 Nov 1701), daughter of Isaac Morgan. He married (2) Priscilla Warner (died before 1719), daughter of John Warner by his wife Lydia Boltwood, on 14 Jan 1702/03; and (3) Margery Pasko (died 20 Feb 1744/45) on 5 Nov 1719 at Enfield, CT. The only child of Edmund and Prudence (Morgan) Bement was Prudence Bement.spouse: >Morgan, Prudence (~1671 - 1701)
Edmund was a prominent citizen of Enfield, Connecticut. His first public office, in 1703, was that of constable, after which he was almost continuously in office or serving on important town committees for a period of more than thirty years. In 1718 he was one of three to constitute the school committee and to provide the town with a teacher. He also served frequently on the Ecclesiastical Society Committee. Edmund resided in the south end of Enfield, and amassed considerable land over his lifetime. The five children of Edmund and Priscilla (Warner) Bement were Martha Bement, Jonathan Bement, Prudence Bement, Dennis Bement, and Edmond Bement. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 25-31)
LIEUTENANT EDMUND BEMENT removed to East Hartford, Connecticut about 1741, where he became Lieutenant of the Militia and otherwise prominent in the public life of that town and was a member of the Third Ecclesiastical Society of Hartford, First of East Hartford, over which the Reverend Eliphalet Williams held a fifty-five year pastorate, from 1748 to 1803.spouse: >Meakins, Abigail (1722 - 1806)
In the events which led to the Revolution, the East Hartford people took an active interest and when they heard of the outbreak at Lexington speedily organized a company of forty-nine officers and men, and, under Lieutenant George Pitkin, promptly marched to Roxbury. Three of Lieutenant Bement's sons entered the struggle, serving three or more years.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 64-66
EDMUND BEMENT, was born 13 Sep 1739 at Suffield, Connecticut, and died there 11 Sep 1808 at 68 years of age; married Mary Sheldon (1747-1842) of/at Suffield on 27 May 1766/67. She lived to 94 years of age.spouse: >Sheldon, Mary (1747 - 1842)
Edmund was a Private in the 2nd Company, 6th Battalion, Connecticut and saw service in Guilford and New Haven in July 1779. (Source: Connecticut Soldiers of the Revolution). Edmund served, 1776, as a private in Captain Abraham Sedgwick's company, Col. John Chester's regiment, Wadsworth's brigade. (Source: DAR, Volume 70, p. 206, also see ID#69885).
In 1810 Mary resided in Suffield. Their descendants are widely scattered throughout Western New York and the Great West. Eleven children of Edmund and Mary (Sheldon) Bement, born at Suffield Township were: Edmund, Nathaniel, Titus, Mary, Mary, Nathaniel, Anna, Charlotte, Sheldon, David, and Thankful Bement. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 93-94)
Edmund C. Bement so dreaded going to war that, whenever anyone came to get him to join the Army, he hid in the cornfield until they were gone. He left Lincoln County, Kentucky after the Civil War and is buried near Winslow, Indiana. (Source: Bebe Deane (Hayes) Garcia, Canyon Lake, California, October 1998)spouse: >Skidmore, Eliza (1839 - 1907)
EDMUND COLLINS BEMENT was a farmer at Palmyra, Wayne County, New York for a few years after his marriage, but in 1837, for a period of more than twenty years he followed agricultural pursuits at Lagrange, Ohio, where all his children, save the two eldest, were born. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 140d, 224)spouse: >Ranier, Sally Ann (1817 - 1887)
Supplemental information on his children was obtained from the LDS Family Group Sheet #14498 as compiled by Marilyn M. Smith of Grand Ledge, Michigan in 1983. (May 1998)
EDMUND D. BEMENT, for twenty of more years after marriage, followed farming at Oneida, Easton Co., Michigan. He removed in the early 1880's to Grand Ledge, Michigan where he resided until his decease. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 336)spouse: >Jones, Helen (1836 - 1881)
Supplemental information on his children was obtained from the LDS Family Group Sheet #14499 as compiled by Marilyn M. Smith of Grand Ledge, Michigan in 1983. (May 1998)
Edna Eliza Bement conducted a private school of dramatic arts for over fifty years. Her husband, John Rufus "Russ or R.S." Gray, wrote the History of Pratt County (Kansas). He was the son of an early day doctor who grew up in Pratt County and taught in the Pratt school system nearly all his life. He spiced up his chemistry and physics lectures with many of the stories that are included in the publication. He was a self-styled historian that accumulated his stories from a host of episodes that were recounted, prior to the days of radio and television, around the gathering places of the community as form of early day entertainment. Dr. J. Rufus Gray also had a small booklet published, "The Genealogy of the Bement Family of Kansas"spouse: >Gray, John Rufus (1886 - 1982)
Buried at the Mt. Hope Cemetery in Baker, Oregon.
EDWARD BEMENT, in his early youth, was taken prisoner at sea while on board one of our mercantile marine ships during the war with Great Britain, 1812-1815, and was confined a number of months on board a prison ship in an English port. After his exchange, he joined the celebrated volunteer company, known as "The Iron Greys." commanded by Captain Samuel Swartwout, and performed service with that company until peace was declared.spouse: >Marshall, Eliphal (1800 - 1843)
His mercantile education was received in New York City where most of his business life was passed, although during some portions thereof, he was established at Charleston, South Carolina and Boston, Massachusetts. In 1837 he engaged in the banking business, becoming a member of the then well-known banking house of Ketchum, Rogers and Bement, and continuing therein until the dissolution of the firm in 1857. While so affiliated he was interested in the promotion and building of the New York + New Haven, the Illinois Central, and other railroads. At one time he was a director in the Housatonic Railroad Company, and for some years preceding his death he, together with Moses Taylor and P. C. Calhoun, was an assignee of the banking firm of Ketchum Son + Company, performing the active work in that connection.
In 1839, he established a residence at Staten Island, which he maintained until his decease, taking an active interest in local affairs, and in the Home for Destitute Children of Seamen, for which his wife was for many years Recording Secretary.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 243-244
The town of Bement, Illinois, incorporated in 1860, is named after Edward Bement. During the time of the establishment of the Great Western Railroad across central Illinois, Edward, either Secretary or Treasurer of the railroad, offered to provide a bell for Bement's first church for the honor of having the town named after him. However, he took sick and died before making good on his offer. (Source: Spencer L. Bement, Ann Arbor, Michigan). ________________
In the book, "The Bement Story", published in 1955 in connection with the towns centennial, Edward Bement was indicated to have been the Treasurer of the Great Western Railroad Company. At the centennial celebration on November 9, 1955 Arthur K. Atkinson, president of the Wabash Railroad Company, made the following dedication:
"A PROMISE IS A DEBT UNPAID"
In 1855 Mr. Edward Bement, the Treasurer of the Great Western Railroad Company, promised to donate a bell to the first church to be built in the city of Bement, Illinois. He died before that pledge could be fulfilled.
The First Methodist Church, built in 1864, was the first church in Bement. As such, it brought to realization Mr. Bement's earnest desire that the community bearing his name be God-fearing and worshipful with proper religious leadership, in the traditional American way. That wish has been amply fulfilled.
As successor to the Great Western Railroad Company, the Wabash Railroad Company desires to honor Mr. Bement's word. In belated but nonetheless sincere token thereof, this plaque is respectfully tendered.
The plaque will then be subscribed by me as President of the Wabash Railroad Company and dated November 9, 1955. ________________
In addition to the plaque that was received, Mr. Atkinson also brought with him a locomotive bell to place on the town hall or as the town saw fit. That bell is now on display in the foyer of the Bement Library. Bement is a village of approximately 2,000 people located along Route 105 in Piatt County in Central Illinois. It is on the Norfolk Southern Railway, some 150 miles SSW of Chicago and 140 NNE of St. Louis in some of the most fertile land in the world. Bement is about halfway between the cities of Champaign-Urbana and Decatur and is comprised of many residents who work in one of those cities. Seven miles north is the county seat, Monticello, on Interstate 72 which connects Champaign-Urbana to Decatur. (Dennis BeMent, July 1998)
EDWARD BEMENT removed, in 1852, to Alabama, New York, located in the extreme Northwest of Genesee County, New York to a fine farm later occupied by his only surviving son, Alpha Edward Bement, as late as 1913. In connection with farming, he was a widely known wagon maker. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 220-221)spouse: >Bird, Lydia (1815 - 1874)
EDWARD BEMENT was educated at Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and at the Phillips Academy, Andover; entered Yale University in 1866, and left at the end of two years; passed two years in foreign travel and residence abroad; attended Columbia College Law School from 1872 to 1874, receiving the degree of L.L.B.; was admitted to the New York Bar, but never practiced law.
In 1874 he engaged in the banking business, as a member of the firm of L. Chase + Company, continuing therein until 1883, when he became associated with the firm of W.H. Goadby + Company; was a member of the New York Stock Exchange from 1884 to 1902, when he retired from business, and after resided in Paris, making annual visits to New York. Yale University gave him the Honorary Degree of A.M. in 1891, and he was a member of the following clubs: University, Union, Century, Racquet, City, South Side, Grolier, and New York Yacht Club. He never married.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 244-245
Edward Andrew Bement graduated from Elmira Free Academy and earned a Bachelor's degree from Syracuse University. He sold life insurance and they resided in Syracuse, moving to Elmira shortly after their first child was born. He was a very good salesman and loved to sell, but the depression forced him to leave the insurance business. He ran a gas station for many years, leaving that occupation for commission selling of furnaces in 1955. In 1956 they resided at Wellsburg for a brief period. He continued selling until he died. Margaret attended Syracuse University, but did not graduate. After the family was grown she sold fine china at Iszard's Department Store in Elmira, New York. (Source: Spencer L. BeMent, Ann Arbor, Michigan)spouse: >Neal, Margaret Childs (1907 - 1976)
In 1910 a tombstone bearing this inscription: "[ ] Bement s. of William and Deborah d. July 1793", was found flat under the sod in the back yard of the nearby Russell farm house. (Source: Historical Collections relating to the Town of Salisbury, Vol 1, Page 92; prepared by the Salisbury Association, 1913)
Dutcher's Bridge Cemetery is situated in Weatogue about a third of a mile northwest of Dutcher's Bridge. It was purchased by the town on Nov. 8, 1802, for a consideration of one dollar paid to Capt. Ruluff Dutcher of Canaan (see Land Records, Book 11, p. 93) and it is stated in the deed "that an ancient burying ground" was included in the purchase. The grantor stipulated that the plot should be fenced by the town and he reserved for himself and his heirs the right to pasture sheep and calves within it. This cemetery is in a sadly neglected condition most of the time. A small amount of money expended upon grading and more frequent mowings would improve it greatly. Nearly all of the stones are clean and well preserved. (c., 1913)
Edward Grilley Bement married Louisa Jane Huston on June 21, 1861. Their only child, Jennie Louise Bement, was born on April 5, 1868 at her grandmother's Brush Street house in St. Johns, Clinton Co., Michigan.spouse: >Huston, Louisa Jane (1841 - ~1921)
Soon Edward Bement established a store in Maple Rapids, Michigan and moved his family there. The family gathering place, however, was still at the Hicks home where Grandmother Arabella lived.
Edward Bement was said to have been especially book minded. Thus it is not strange that his daughter was an unusually good student. In 1886 Jennie graduated from Maple Rapids School. At the age of 18 she had attended the University of Michigan. In 1889 she graduated from the State Normal School in Ypsilanti. The next year she became the Preceptress of the high school in Sand Lake, Michigan.
Jennie Bement was seen by her cousin as gentle and thoughtful. Her attractive personality, Ida said, was "heartfully beloved by every member of the family." "She was 'at home' at 205 State Street," Ida continued. "Thus in speaking of her, I speak as one of our own family."
In the summer of 1890 Jennie and her mother traveled in Europe. Later that fall Jennie reentered the University of Michigan. She graduated in 1892. The following summer Jennie spent the months of August and September in Colorado.
Jennie was engaged to marry. Then in May, 1893 she contracted spinal meningitis and died. Jennie died on May 31 and was buried from the Maple Rapids Christian Church on June 2, 1893. She was later interred at Mount Rest Cemetery in Saint Johns.
According to her niece, Ida Eliza Hicks Bishop, Louisa Jane Bement was a very energetic person and a good businesswoman. She was graciously considerate of others; and as the years passed, her only daughter became the center of her life's interest.
It was then that Louisa Bement began planning a suitable memorial for Jennie. She wanted, said cousin Ida, to think of something beautiful that would be in accord with Jennie's beautiful life. Soon she settled on the idea of a library.
In 1921 after bequests from Louisa Bement's will had been distributed to family members and other heirs, there was still $24,166.27 left to be placed in the "Jennie Louise Bement Memorial" fund. This fund was administered by Louisa's nephews, John C. Hicks and Coleman C. Vaughn, who had married Jennie Marinda Hicks.
In 1938 Mrs. Bishop reminisced, "Frequently talking this consideration over with the members of our family, I recall one day telling Aunt Louise that I could think of nothing more befitting Cousin Jennie's life and character or more needed in Saint Johns."
It had been 45 years between the time Jennie Bement died and the library her mother had hoped would be built in her memory was finally started.
The Bement Library Friends of the Library St. Johns, Clinton Co., Michigan
EDWARD MILOW BEMENT was graduated from Elk Rapids (Michigan) High School, taught district school. After a period of teaching he learned the jewelers trade. Married at Big Rapids (while living at Elk Rapids), moved to Thompsonville, Michigan, then to Big Rapids, then Lansing where he engaged in pattern making. Due to ill health he then engaged in agriculture at Walkerville, Oceana Co., Michigan. He served at least four years in the Michigan National Guard, and was actively interested in local politics. Politically he was a Bull Moose. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 392, 392b)spouse: >Stengel, Laura B. (1874 - >1913)
EDWARD NICHOLS BEMENT left the New York University in his junior year to enter the East India House of William H. Smith + Son of New York, remaining there until the death of the senior partner, in 1867, which caused a dissolution of the business. After a clerkship in the Treasurer's office of the Burlington + Missouri River Railroad Company he became paymaster of that road. When it consolidated with the Chicago, Burlington + Missouri Railroad Company he became assistant cashier at Chicago. He continued in that office until the Chicago fire of 1871, when, for some years, he was engaged in the Real Estate and Fire Insurance business. This he relinquished in 1878, having purchased the wholesale paper house of Amariah Storrs, and formed the corporation of A. Storrs + Bement Co., of which he was president. Having sold his interest in this firm, he returned to Chicago in 1890, as treasurer of the Cary Ogden Company, continuing as such until the destruction of this industry by fire. He then went to Cripple Creek, Colorado where he was interested in mining, and where, during the strike of 1895, he was deputy sheriff. Since 1900, until at least 1913 he was a stock and bond broker at Hartford, Connecticut, where he resided.spouse: >Dennison, Ella (~1847 - <1888)
He was a member of the Delta Chapter of Psi Upsilon, the Connecticut Society of Mayflower Descendants, and Sergeant Major of the Putnam Phalanx of Hartford. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp. 394-395)
EDWARD P. BEMENT was a prominent businessman and was associated with J. Langdon + Co., and was also a partner in Bement and Davenport. J. Langdon was related to Mark Twain by Mr. Twain's wife, who was a Langdon. (Source: The Chemung Historical Journal, Volume 41, No. 3, March 1996, Elmira, NY)spouse: >Robinson, Julia (1837 - 1903)
Edward bought an interest in the picture frame business of A.P. Roosa in the fall of 1870. In 1871 Daniel R. Davenport purchased Mr. Roosa's remaining interest and the shop was moved from Lake Street to 311 East Water Street where the firm carried on an extensive business until about 1888 when the location was changed to 327 East Water Street. (Source: Edward P. Bement obituary)
Edward's wife, Julia Robinson, was the daughter of John Milton Robinson, who was a descendant of a Mayflower minister.
EDWIN BEMENT accompanied his parents to the Western Reserve in Ohio, in what was to the little family, a memorable journey of six weeks, arriving at Randolph, Portage County, in March 1820 during a big snow storm. In 1836, after teaching for several terms at Atwater, Ohio, he and his brother Orson became engaged on bridge work at Fremont, Ohio. While there they connected themselves with the First Presbyterian Church and were active in furthering its interests. The early spring of 1843 found the brothers at what was then Risdon, now Fostoria, Ohio, under contract to build a grist mill. This was quickly followed by the erection of an iron foundry, which the brothers operated for several years, subsequently building a more efficient and commodious one in another part of the town. In the meantime, a third brother, George Dwight Bement, entered into the business, and still later, the fourth and youngest, Augustus S. Bement. During 1848 and 1949, death claimed two of the four brothers, and the eldest and youngest were left to carry on the enterprise, which they did with varying success until 1856, when Augustus Bement became the sole owner of the foundry, and the eldest brother embarked on a new venture, that of the stove and tin-ware business. This he conducted until the beginning of the Civil War, when Augustus Bement's enlistment in one of the companies of the 55th Regiment of Ohio Volunteers, caused him to dispose of it, and to purchase the foundry, then a brick plant on Wood Street in Fostoria, Ohio.spouse: >Roberts, Maria Louise (1815 - 1899)
In 1869 Edwin embraced a favorable business opening at Lansing, Michigan, and in conjunction with his son, Arthur Orin Bement, renting the old Houghton Foundry on River Street, began making castings, erecting their own foundry during the following year at the corner of Grant and Iona Streets. Thus was established at Lansing the manufacture of Heating and Cooking Stoves and steel ranges, under the firm name of E. Bement + Sons, later E. Bement's Sons, which flourished until 1907, with branch houses at Dallas, Milwaukee, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Rochester, Nashville, White River Junction, Vermont, and Decatur, Illinois.
Previous to 1856, the only church organization at Fostoria was that of Methodist. About this time Edwin found that there were in the community a few people who had been connected with the Presbyterian Church in its various branches, and who could be united into a New School Presbyterian Chruch. This, largely through his agency, was accomplished, and for a time, services were carried on by the Reverend McCutcheon, of the West Millgrove Church, without any church edifice. In 1857, the Reverend William C. Turner was secured as pastor of the new society, as well as of the West Millgrove Church, and through his efforts, and mostly through his liberality, the First Presbyterian Church building in Fostoria was erected, a brick structure on Fremont Street, between Perry and Union Streets, which was still standing around 1913.
The educational facilities of the town were also, in Edwin's mind, quite inadequate. In connection with the Rev. Turner, the Fostoria Academy was organized and housed. This was liberally patronized by the young men and women of that section of the State, and was carried on until the dark days of the Civil War, when, almost to a man, the young male students enlisted for war service.
After his removal to Lansing, where he became one of its most eminent citizens, he associated himself with the First Congregational Church, where he was superintendent of the Sunday School from 1871-1873, and deacon from 1872 until his death; all his early religious training having been in the Congregational Church.
Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, pp, 295-297 ______________________
The following is a transcription of the obituary of Edwin Bement:
Lansing Journal Company Monday, March 8, 1880 Death of E. Bement
Saturday the community was shocked by a report that E. Bement, the senior proprietor of the agricultural works of Bement + Sons of this city had been stricken with paralysis, and was lying a critical condition. It appears that Mr. Bement had been to his new purchase, where he had workmen getting out timber, and returning about 6 o'clock, drove to his barn, unhitched his team from the buggy and probably followed them to the barn. About 20 minutes later his son Clarence came that way, and entering the barn, found his father upon the floor perfectly helpless. He spoke to his father, who appeared to recognize his son, but was unable to articulate. Mr. Bement was taken to the office of the works and from there to his residence, and medical assistance called. It was at first supposed that he might have been injured by one of the horses, but examination revealed that the entire right side of his body was paralyzed. He appeared to rally a little during the evening, but soon relapsed into a comatose state and has remained in this condition since. At 10 o'clock Monday morning he was failing and no hopes were entertained of his recovery.
Mr. Bement died between 12 and 1 o'clock on Monday, never rallying from his stupor. From his family and brothers we have obtained the following biographical sketch of the deceased: Edwin Bement was born at Westfield, Mass., August 26, 1811. Jan. 1, 1820, his parents, with four children, of which Edwin, then eight years old, was the oldest, left their old home, and with the family and their household possessions in a lumber wagon made the then perilous journey into the wilderness of Ohio, arriving at Randolph, Portage County, one month later, where they settled. Mr. Bement senior was one of the earliest pioneers in this section.
In this vicinity Edwin spent his boyhood, serving an apprenticeship as a millwright, and in 1837, at the age of 26, he removed to Fremont, where he and his brother Orson erected a grist mill and an oil mill. Two years later he married Miss Maria L. Roberts. He resided in Fremont about six years and assisted in constructing the bridge across the Sandusky River at that point.
In 1843 he removed to Risden, where, with his brother, the erected the first grist mill in that vicinity. Here they purchased a small foundry. (Risden and Rome were afterwards consolidated and formed the present town of Fostoria.) Mr. Bement resided here about 26 years, 10 years of which he was engaged in the stove and hardware trade.
In 1869 he sold his business in Fostoria and removed to Lansing. From that time to the present his business enterprises constitute and important chapter in the history of the capital city, and are perhaps better known to our business men than to ourselves. From time to time he has associated his sons in his large and growing business, and today a more prosperous concern cannot be found in Central Michigan. Nor more fitting monument could be raised to the memory of its founder, based as it is upon principles of fair dealing, intelligence, and enterprise.
At an early age Mr. Bement united with the Congregational Church at Randolph, Ohio, under the ministrations of Rev. Joseph Merriam, well known as one the oldest ministers of that denomination in the northwest. He has never wavered in his religious views, and has always been active in church work. He was instrumental in forming the First Presbyterian Church in Fostoria, superintending personally its construction, and contributing largely from his private purse to meed the expenses of construction. He was an elder in this church from its organization in 1856. Since coming to Lansing he has been identified with Plymouth Congregational church s one of its deacons, and was at one time superintendent of its Sunday school. He was also an outspoke and fearless temperance worker, and exemplified in his own person the principles which he advocated. Politically he was one the first abolitionists in northern Ohio, and often referred with pride to the fact.
Mr. Bement leaves three sons, Arthur, Willis, and Clarence, who, with the faithful wife, companion, and counselor of his youth and old age, will mourn the loss of a tender husband, a kind father, and a safe and competent adviser and friend. The loss is not theirs alone. The death of such a man is a blow upon the business community in which he has lived, which unites all in a common sympathy and a common grief.
The funeral will be held from the family residence on Orchid Street on Wednesday at 2 o'clock P.M. ___________________
For history on E. Bement's Sons parlor stove please visit the following web page: http://www.sos.state.mi.us/history/museum/explore/museums/hismus/special/l ans1897/bement.html
EDWIN CORNELIUS BEMENT was soldier in the Union Army and was killed at, or shortly after, the Battle of Antietam.
About 50,000 Confederate troops led by General Robert E. Lee attempted an invasion of the North. They were intercepted on Sept. 17, 1862, at Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Maryland, by a Union army of 70,000 men under the command of General George Brinton McClellan. In the ensuing action, the Union army suffered about 12,000 casualties, including 2,108 killed. Lee lost some 25 percent of his force; at least 2,700 Confederate soldiers were killed and 10,000 were wounded or missing. Lee's army retreated across the Potomac River the next day, making the outcome technically a Union victory and providing the positive news that President Abraham Lincoln felt was a prerequisite to the issuance of a preliminary Emancipation Proclamation. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 216)
EDWIN JENISON BEMENT was a lifelong resident of Lansing, Michigan and graduated from The University of Michigan with a Ph.D. degree in 1897. He joined his father's business and devoted the early years of his life to the promotion of the industrial interests that bore the Bement name. For a quarter of a century he was active in the Novo Engine Company of Lansing, rising to Vice President. In 1920 he resided in Lansing and was Treasurer and Sales Manager of Novo. After retiring he entered the office equipment business in 1935 under the name of E. J. Bement. He was affiliated with the Masonic Lodge No. 33, the City Club, and Plymouth Congregational Church. His wife Roberta was born in 1881 in Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., Tennessee; and died 7 Jan 1958 in Lansing, Ingham Co., Michigan. She was a member of the same church and past president of its Women's Fellowship. No issue.spouse: >McManus, Roberta M. (1881 - 1958)
Bement Chronicles in America Supplement Spencer L. BeMent, 1996, p. 298c ___________________
The following is a transcription of Obituary of Edwin J. Bement:
Friday, April 26, 1946 Ill Only Week, E. J. Bement Dies Business Man, 71, Member of Industrial Family
Edwin J. Bement, 71, local business man and member of a pioneer Lansing industrial family died Wednesday at his home, 209 West Hillsdale Street, after a week's illness.
He was a lifelong resident here, formerly having been connected with the E. Bement Sons' company and the Novo Engine Company. For the past 10 years he was engaged in the office equipment business.
Mr. Bement was member of Plymouth Congregational Church and Lansing Lodge No. 33, F.+A.M. Survivors include the widow, Roberta; his mother; Mrs. Arthur O. Bement of Northampton, Mass., and two sisters, Miss Dorothy Bement, also of Northampton, and Mrs. Harry F. Porter of Philadelphia, PA.
Funeral Services will be conducted Friday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock from Plymouth Church, with Dr. Robert Barlett, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in Mr. Hope Cemetery. Pallbearers will be: E.A. Shephard, W.H. Nickel, J. Stanley Bien, Clarence Bement, Roberts Bement, Jr., and Lloyd Osterman.
The body was removed to the Estes-Leadley funeral home where it will remain until Friday afternoon, when it will lie in state at the church from 2:30 to 3:30 o'clock.
EGBERT BEMENT was a farmer, many years a deacon of the Congregational Church and a much respected citizen of Newark Valley, New York. His three daughters died about 1859. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 165)spouse: >Smith, Sarah Maria (~1827 - 1898)
Eleanor Bement was educated at the Hill School of Philadelphia.spouse: >Stem, Samuel George (1887 - >1924)
Electa (Bement) Pitkins and her daughter, Caroline Pitkins, were living with her brother John Bement in Seneca, NY in 1860.spouse: >Pitkins, ??? (<1832 - <1860)
She was a school teacher and never married. Died early in life. (Source: Letter from Mrs. John Winfield (Cora Bement) Moses, Pittsfield, Maine to J. Granville Leach dated 27 Feb 1917).
ELECTA PEARL BEMENT and her husband lived in Waterville until 1805, in Athens, Maine until 1833, and the Argyle Plantation, now Alton, Maine, until his death. (Source: Bement Chronicles in America, 1928, p. 172)spouse: >McKechnie, Joseph (1775 - 1846)
ELIHU BEMENT, born at Springfield, Massachusetts, 14 Dec 1787, and died about 1839 at Concord, Erie County, New York, where he had been a pioneer farmer and builder. In 1822 he married Mary Sutton, who died at Buffalo, New York. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928)spouse: >Sutton, Mary (>1802 - >1836)
Eliza Welch Bement never married. He resided at Elmira, New York in 1920 with her sister, Mrs. Daniel Romeyn Davenport (Sarah Pynchon Bement).
ELIZABETH "BETSEY" A. BEMENT likely resided with Abraham and Almyra Stones at Clear Creek, Ohio in 1850. She witnessed her mothers second marriage in March, 1862. (Source: Chronicles of the Bement Family in America; 1928, p. 140; Spencer BeMent Supplement, 1996, p. 140b)spouse: >Clark, William S. (~1840 - )
Elizabeth Knight Bement was the second wife of Justus Harrison. The source of her middle name was Alexander Madena Harrison who was compiling the "AMH Manuscript" in 1870. Her full name was provided by her husband, Justus, in a letter of response to Alexander. (Source: Helen Harrison)spouse: >Harrison, Justus (1815 - 1890)
Elizabeth "Etta/Eliza" May Bement and the descendants of her and her husband, Harold Frederick Fletcher, were located on World Family Tree, Volume 12, Pedigree #1266. According to social security death records there was an Elizabeth May Fletcher who was born in 1893 and died on 3 Jan 1994. The date of birth is off a year, but location of death in California would appear to be consistant with her last known area of residence.spouse: >Fletcher, Harold Fredrick (1880 - 1949)
Thomas Hoskins Lawry was born June 2, 1845 in Kingston, New York and died May 9, ____ in Oakdale, PA. and is buried at Matlby Cemetery in Glenwood, New York. He married (1) Florence Julia Swain, daughter of Dr. Jonathan Swain, in ____ and later married (2) Ellen Bement at Fagundus, Warren County, Pa. He served in the union army during the civil war and later located to Pithole, PA near Titusville, PA shortly after the discovery of oil there, and had oil property at Derrick City, Pa. just outside of Bradford. (Source: Terrance "Terry" A. Krott, tckrott@@ncinter.net, Sept. 1999)spouse: >Lawry, Thomas Hoskins (1845 - )